Thursday, May 25, 2023

Adventure 864: A View from the Perch/3

After eight days some semblance of routine is surfacing. I've not missed a morning of Tai Chi  starting at 6 A.M. I finish my routine in about 75 minutes. By the time I climb the stairs, my Bunny has the coffee and breakfast ready during which we play a game of crib. I'm currently ahead by a whopping total of $2.62. Without much strain, the Wiley Cager's bemoaning howl can be heard across several states. Reports of banshee like sounds have come from as far as Archbold, Ohio. One such refrain is, "Why do you get such good hands when all I get is this crappity dew?" My reply, "Maybe I'm just a superior player." To which the Cager retorts, "I could be superior too, if I was dealt three fives and two tens." What could I say to that? Maybe that's why I'm the luckiest guy on the planet. We spent the rest of our morning consolidating a life time of memories in the form of old photos. We managed to condense three boxes into one fair sized tub, which is good because we have literally taken this down sizing thing to heart. 1100 square feet as it were. In the afternoon, for fun and propinquity we went down to the "Drink and Think" session in the Pub where we met Craig and Karen Barsuhn who moved here from an 80 acre horse farm in the countryside around Kalamazoo, Michigan. They're both retired research chemists who also raised and trained horses to compete in dressage, cross country jumping, and other English style jumping events.. Just fascinating talking to them. They're also avid skiers, who having no children, decided they could move to a place with ski hills, very little humidity, and a chance at community living after working the farm for so many years. We went from the trivia game to dinner and enjoyed much "background" sharing. The whole afternoon and evening confirmed one of my life theories: People are more alike than they are different, and as they say in Luchenbach, Texas, "Everybody is Somebody." Suffice to say, life is good, especially today.

Some days we play cribbage at lunch, too.!
This ceramic sculpture was just installed in the lobby. Pretty impressive actually.
The view from our "perch". The landscaping proceeds apace.
Karen and Craig Barsuhn at the trivia game. Karen knew quite a few of the answers.
Sallie, our moderator, handed out candy to all of the participants, so even 'one answer' Tim got a piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment