Monday, September 9, 2019

Adventure 526: Good Bye Standish Dude Ranch, hello East Coast

View from the front gate
I was sipping a tall glass of "Boulder Juice" (The cabin's well water) trying to decide what I enjoyed most the last six days. Surely, the propinquity we shared with our hosts, John and Diane Standish, felt good, and of course the tightening of our bond with our friend, Liz Ulmen, felt as warm as a swaddling blanket. And if that wasn't enough, we also enjoyed Jeffrey and Lindsey Steinback along with their two precocious children, Anna and John-John. Another treat came in the form of Tina Standish, who is the bride of John and Liz's brother, Mark. She made the trip from Billings for a night. We spent much of the six days learning about the cabin's history sprinkled with quite of bit of family lore. Time and time again, we felt the love of family. So, it could have easily been the  acceptance that I enjoyed most. But that wasn't quite it. What I really enjoyed was the freedom to enjoy my own quiet time pursuing my own desires. I spent inspired time sitting on the porch bending wire, lulled by the river's rushing rhythm, feeling refreshed by the mile high air. I made five wire sculptures, and best of all, John and I collaborated to make stands for them. So that, I think was the best part. Of course, we ate well. I liked that, too. We hiked. I liked that, too. We tried new things. I like that. We enjoyed peace and quiet. We were thankful to be included, and what a way to continue our Fric and Frac adventures, although technically we didn't have Frac with us. We just lived well in the Poustinia. We're home for a week before darting off to Nova Scotia and then our eighth bicycle trip in Vermont. We'll be traveling with our friends, Ed and Deb Drouin. The four of us have traveled so much together, it's like wearing a favorite pair of fuzzy pants. We're just so glad for the kick off party we enjoyed with the Standish family. Truly, life is good, especially today.

 Even dusty ATV babes look good.

 Up river view.

 This natural bridge, which hides the river during low water, is overwhelmed by the spring run off.

 Pop-Pops John with grandson, John-John.
 John-John helping with the fire.
Tina with her "baby", Freya.
 Lindsey and Anna, a familiar scene during our stay.
 At the trailhead for our hike up to Trinity Falls.
 Some elevation gain required.
 Liz brought a little wine and chocolate to toast her late husband, Dave who is famous in family lore for producing wine after long hikes.
 My Bunny crossing the creek.


 Dancing girl.
 Us dressed in our Standish shirts.


 Brother Jim Standish built and attached this sign many years ago.
Pop-Pops getting a little love from grand daughter, Anna.

I call this: "Just Lovin' on Ya".

John, Liz, Diane.

We spent the our last night alone. The three of us took the "Mexican Train." Judy got off first.

No comments:

Post a Comment