Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Adventure 246: Wib and Arlene's/Newton, KS/Post A

The flowers in the foreground mark Judy's parent's grave.
Shortly after I posted last night (9:45 P.M.), walnut sized hail dropped pop, pop, pop, and we felt like kernels inside a microwave package. That lasted about a half hour, then a lull occurred. We watched the radar which showed the cells approaching, and they certainly did. The rain began about eleven thirty, dropping about four inches in three hours. Somewhere around 2 A.M. the fifty or sixty mile an hour wind came rustling through. It shook the trailer enough to make us think we were a square of wiggling jello on a lunch tray. I didn't like the trapped feeling, but I had less than a few options. (It moved me to an unusual act this morning. I was in the bathroom and I noticed a giant mosquito trapped in a spider web. The guy was struggling mightily to break free. I was caught between a rock and a hard place since I hate mosquitos and I loathe spiders. Solidarity ruled the day. I felt the mosquito's desperation, and I couldn't just let him become some treacherous arachnad's lunch, so I freed him, and then scampered like a frightened school boy out of the stall before the bugger sucked my blood).  I finally got to sleep about three-thirty, once the hard rain and hard wind subsided into a gentle tinkle and a gentle caress. Thankfully, there were no tornadic winds involved, but I must tell you, I'm not that enamored with the state of Oklahoma around OKC. Last year, we left our service work repairing tornado damage early to outrun a nasty ice storm. They don't call the place Tornado Alley for nothing. The morning was sunny bright with a fairly strong wind still buffeting the area. The ground around the trailer was floating (Deep enough to get my feet wet over my Crocs.) I'm always a little nervous unhooking the electrical cord when I'm standing in water. No worries. After I beat stumpy for all the Weather Warnings in Oklahoma, we left Shawnee and headed for Kansas. We stopped in Ponca City, Oklahoma for lunch at a classic (This ain't the Galloping Gourmet family diner). Needless to say, comfort is relative, but it served to get us out of the trailer and prepared us for the final leg through Wichita to Newton. We stopped at Jan Roth and Tom West's palatial home in Wichita where Jan served us some truly Gourmet munchies (She's got nice style, that girl). We jibber-jabbered for a while, Tom and I about basketball, Jan and Judy about kids, siblings, and parents. We got to Newton a little after five and now we're enjoying the hospitality of the Schmidt's. Thankful for another day of traveling mercies, we continue to believe that life is good, especially today.


 Not quite four inches of rain in three hours, but the area needs it badly.
 You'd have to see this place to believe it.
 Home made meatloaf, tots, corn, and white rolls. Middle America fanfare.
 Tom and Jan.
 Their home borders the eleventh hole.
 JalapeƱo parmesan crisps, apples, grapes, and delicious white wine (You choose.) 
 The golf course is just coming out of its winter slumber.
 Judy and her sister, Arlene, playing with the Easter chicks.
 Cute!
 Arlene's home made Borscht served with her home made bread and her home made apple sauce was excellent (The Friesen girls can cook).
 After dinner, Judy and i took a lap around the cemetery to stretch our legs and to visit Judy's parents.
 The spring bloom is just about to hit middle America.

No comments:

Post a Comment